Saturday, December 1, 2012

Introduction to Report Building with Report Builder 3.0 for SCCM 2012

Now that my 2012 environment is running smoothly; the kinks have been ironed out, the old 2007 environment decommissioned and old servers removed (enjoyed a glass of scotch to celebrate that moment), and IT staff are comfortable in the new console ... its time for me to change gears and dive into building reports in SCCM 2012 by using Report Builder 3.0.

This will spawn a new series while I literally teach myself how to build reports in SQL.  As someone who has almost no experience with SQL, other than basic installation and maintenance tasks, I hope this series of posts will be useful to anyone who needs to learn how to build reports in SCCM but don't have the slightest clue on how to do it.

Let me start by re-capping what my environment looks like so my posts will make sense:

SCCM Primary Site Server
Server OS: Windows 2008 R2
SQL: SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard w/ CU6, SSRS Installed and configured on same box
Report Builder 3.0 Installed

First post to come in a few days time I hope.  I'm spending the next 11 days in freezing cold Alberta rolling out an MS Lync-based phone systems in two offices so my hands are pretty full at the moment.

Table of Contents

Introduction to Series
Part 1: The Goal
Part 2: SQL Query Basics
Part 3: Lets all JOIN hands

No comments: